Monday 29 August 2011

Fatuous use of English

My regular readers will be aware that it has been some time - nearly a year - since I last posted. The truth is that I have become fed up to the back teeth with the Internet, tweeting, blogging, and the whole damn shooting-match.

But - like the proverbial 'Renegade Master' - I am back, this time to rail against the increasingly infuriating use of such annoying phrases such as "I'm good" and "good good" in response to an enquiry about a poltroon's well-being. Worse still, I would claim, is the absurdly pompous and self-important "hope that helps", after the utterer having rendered a minor piece of information, or even - ye Gods - held the door open for another.

But, arguably, there is a worse offender in the odious phrase "It's all good"...what on earth possesses these middle-management jackanapes to deploy the argot of US teens is beyond me. However "it's all good" is perhaps slightly less intolerable than the ghastly "going forward". What does this mean? It is sheer poltroonery!

No comments: